SHB Vs York – Match Report

York opened up a thirteen point gap at the top of the Hunters ECB Yorkshire Premier League North with victory over Sheriff Hutton Bridge at Moor Farm. Their sixth straight win combined with defeat for title rivals Harrogate and Yorkshire Academy gives the Shipton Road side a little breathing space as they go into matches with their three closest challengers in next four weeks. This latest success came on the back of an excellent innings from Matthew Waite who fell just short of a maiden Premier League century.
The hosts enjoyed early success when Freddie Collins found the edge of Duncan Snell’s bat and ‘keeper Ben Gill took a good catch diving across in front of first slip with just ten on the board. A tight opening spell from Mark Fisher went unrewarded but it meant the total had only reached 40 by the end of the 15th over when Jack Leaning pushed a ball from county colleague Karl Carver straight into the hands of Jordan Grose at cover, and things could have been worse for the visitors but Adam McAuley’s mistimed shot lobbed just over the fielder on the edge of the circle at extra cover before he had scored a run. Having survived that initial scare he and Waite, who adapted his usual aggressive style to the measured approach the situation demanded, added 42 for the third wicket before McAuley was caught at the wicket from an attempted cut shot off spinner Ben Harrison. Waite reached his third half-century of the season off 86 balls, which contained just three boundaries, and came midway through a stand of 70 from 15 overs with Chris Booth who had contributed 42 when he lost his leg stump to Russell Robinson albeit via both inside edge and pad. Tom Friend returning to the scene of his man of the match winning performance in last season’s Black Sheep Yorkshire Champions Trophy Final scored 28 off 21 balls but then failed to clear Oliver Grayson at point giving Fisher his only wicket. It looked inevitable that Waite would reach his first century in York colours when he struck three of the first four balls of Robinson’s penultimate over to the boundary, but attempting a repeat he managed only to pick out Grose at long-on and was forced to depart for 90, with the total on 211 with just a couple of overs remaining. The final total was boosted by a late blitz from Kyle Brockley who faced just seven balls but dispatched four of them over the rope for six, then sliced the final ball of the innings from Robinson straight up in the air Gill moving from behind the stumps to collect his third catch of the afternoon, Robinson finishing with 3-79.
Both Fisher brothers were back in the pavilion by the time the total had reached 10, Mark was caught behind as he pushed forward to a ball in Waite’s opening over, and Adam drove a ball from Brockley straight at Booth at short extra cover who held an excellent catch in front of his face. Rob Pinder top scored with 20 then fell in identical fashion to Mark Fisher and 33-3 became 52-4 when Leaning took a slip catch high to his left to dismiss Louis Foxton from Snell’s opening ball as he replaced Waite at the River End. Tom Pringle struck in his opening over too, when Grayson provided Leaning with his second slip catch of the afternoon, and Dan Woods repeated the feat having Robinson caught at mid on by Friend six balls later to leave the home side six down for only 77, Pringle yorked Gill without further addition to the total, and Woods picked up a further two wickets courtesy of the safe hands behind the wicket of both Brooks and Leaning, and after Jordan Grose struck three boundaries to lift the total to 113 Harrison was last out, caught by Charlie Elliot at mid-wicket as the York captain wrapped things up with figures of 4-12 from 7.3 overs