York Vs Driffield – Match Report

The second season of the Hunters ECB Yorkshire Premier League North concluded on a dramatic final day which saw York crowned champions following what turned out to be a one-sided victory over Driffield Town, but the scene as Tom Friend drove the winning boundary across a sun-bathed Shipton Road outfield belied what had gone before. On the face of it an eight wicket win with in excess of 25 overs to spare sounds straight forward, but three stoppages for rain and the knowledge your nearest rivals are playing and in control of their match, made it was at times an anxious afternoon for Daniel Woods’ side.
A damp outfield delayed the start by an hour and when play got under way the hosts came under early pressure, Tom Kohler-Cadmore with a six and two fours in the opening over. The Yorkshire batsman also dispatched Matthew Waite to the boundary in his first over, but then failed to control a rising ball from his county colleague presenting Tom Brooks with the first of four catches at the start of a busy afternoon for the York ‘keeper. Friend had Sam Drury caught behind at the start of the third over immediately after which the player left the field as rain began to fall. When play resumed 30 minutes later there was just time for Waite to trap Casey Rudd lbw and Ben Kohler-Cadmore to advance the score to 42 from five overs when rain again intervened. It was following this second stoppage that the visitors enjoyed their most productive period. Ben Kohler-Cadmore raced to fifty off only 26 balls and such was his dominance that during the next ten overs Danny Broumpton contributed just five to a stand of 67. The introduction of Jack Leaning put a brake on the scoring and in his second over the off spinner picked up the crucial wicket of Kohler-Cadrmore (59) who went in search of a twelfth boundary but instead picked out Tom Pringle at deep square leg. That left the visitors four down with the total on 91 and that quickly became five when Broumpton edged Waite to Brooks in the seventh and final over of a spell which he finished with figures of 3-34. Nicky Johnson became the only the third batsman to make double figures, and had reached 25  in a total of 118 when Daniel Woods, having replaced Waite, took the wicket of Harry Bunhill courtesy of an excellent catch taken low down by Oliver Leedham as he raced in from the boundary. That marked the start of a collapse, three further wickets falling in the space of 16 balls for just seven runs. Johnson was the first of those, out lbw playing back to Tom Pringle for 26. Woods then struck twice in three balls, Brooks moved from behind the stumps to short square leg to collect Mark Goddard’s miscued sweep shot, and Leedham was again called in to action this time taking a more straightforward chance just inside the rope to dismiss Jamie Hopper. The last wicket pair of Jordan Caley and Ollie Ezard held out for five overs before Ezard buoyed by a boundary two balls earlier drove at Woods and was caught after a brief juggle by Tom Friend at second slip.
Duckworth/Lewis reduced York’s target from 136 to 132 due to the earlier stoppages and a further delay occurred just as the home side began their reply. For almost half an hour those not mopping up were either peering at the sky or engrossed on their mobile phone weather apps. They need not have worried when play got back underway at 4.45pm the skies had cleared and the weather was set fair. Despite being bowled by Jamie Hopper in the first over after the re-start for 11 Duncan Snell finished the season as the competition’s leading run scorer with 1092, 200 more than his nearest rival. His departure left the stage clear for Jack Leaning and Matthew Waite to demonstrate the art of selective striking, both proving adept at picking off anything loose and once the new ball duo of Hopper and Ollie Ezard were seen off the Yorkshire pair set about dismantling the remainder of the attack. Both batsmen hit back-to-back sixes out of the ground in the same Ben Kohler-Cadmore over, in the case of Leaning it took him past fifty on his way to 70 not out off 48 balls. Waite moved on to 44 off 25 with his third six this time off Nicky Johnson but then miscued what may have been a fourth and Danny Broumpton took a good catch back pedalling from extra cover. The innings was just 14 overs old by that stage and two balls later Tom Friend brought down the curtain on a successful campaign as York extended their winning run to eight games all but one coming with maximum points.