York Vs Hanging Heaton – Play-off Semi Final

York ended the season in disappointing fashion with an under par performance in Yorkshire League Play-offs which resulted in a 122 runs defeat at the hands of Bradford League winners Hanging Heaton. The semi-final had been due to take place at North Marine Road, Scarborough the previous week but was moved to Headingley, and there was a decidedly autumnal feel to the match which saw the Yorkshire League North champions suffer their heaviest loss of 2017
A 10.30 start in late Septmember with the outfield still damp and the early morning mist still lingering meant a rare decision to bowl first by York skipper Dan Wood’s looked entirely justified, and it was backed up when Matthew Waite trapped Nick Connolly lbw for 11. Despite the encouragement of an early breakthrough the bowlers struggled to control the new ball in swinging conditions and by the tenth over had already conceded 18 extras. Gary Fellows was quick to punish anything wayward and struck nine fours in his score of 45 before becoming Waite’s second lbw victim with the total on 104. That was still the total when Jack Leaning trapped Richard Foster for 27 with the first ball of his spell and with two new batsmen at the crease York looked to be on top. Any advantage was gradually eroded as the normally dependable spin paring of Tom Pringle and Daniel Woods proved ineffective in the conditions. Callum Geldart and Joe Fraser (48) added exactly 100 off 114 balls for the fourth wicket when a ball from Leaning found the leading edge of Fraser’s bat and ballooned to Tom Spearman at backward point. The fall of that wicket in the 38th over brought James Keen to the crease and together he and Geldart proceeded to take apart the bowling adding a further 108 runs in the final 12 overs. Keen raced to a half-century off 42 balls including three sixes and five fours and Geldart finished unbeaten on 90 from 79 balls with six fours and three sixes and the fielding side suffered further ignominy in the closing overs when a ball from Waite beat both the batsman and Tom Brooks before going on to strike the helmet the ‘keeper had discarded behind him, the addition of five penalty runs increasing the extras conceded to 38 in a final total of 312 from 50 overs.
A bright start by Duncan Snell produced 12 runs from the first over from David Stiff, but any joy was short-lived when he edged a ball in the next over bowled by Tom Chippendale straight to Joe Fraser at slip. Worse was to follow when Matthew Waite was trapped lbw by Stiff for no score, and having worked hard to get to 23 Jack Leaning miscued a ball from Chippendale to Muhammed Rameez at mid-on to leave the batting side in trouble at 49 for 3. A dozen had been added to the total when Stiff returned to the attack with devastating effect, the first delivery of his new spell knocked back Matthew Bell’s middle stump, and the pace-man who spent time at with both Yorkshire and Kent earlier in his career found himself on a hat-trick when Tom Brooks chased a wide ball and was caught behind. Charlie Elliot gave the travelling York supporters something to cheer with an enterprising half-century off only 40 balls, an innings including five fours and three sixes coming to an end when he was bowled by Muhammed Rameez but not before the total had been improved from 61 to 140 by Elliot and Adam McAuley. The Pakistani spinner also accounted for McAuley who having made 37 dragged the ball on to his own wicket. The third of three wickets in four overs came courtesy of Chippendale, who trapped Tom Spearman lbw, on his way to figures of three for 35, leaving the Yorkshire League North champions on 151 for eight. Tom Pringle (19) and Oliver Leedham (14) both cleared the ropes in a final show of defiance before losing their wickets to Chris Goodair leaving a disconsolate skipper Dan Woods unbeaten on eight, his side all out for 190 inside 37 overs